Tennessee School for the Blind Admission Requirements
1. Admission procedures will begin when an official representative from the local education agency (LEA) and the parent(s)/guardian indicate an interest in having a student transfer to the Tennessee School for the Blind.
2. The applicant must meet the Tennessee State Board of Education’s Definition and Eligibility Standards for visual impairments.
A) Definition of “Disabilities” (State Board of Education Rule 0520-1-9-.01 (15) (p))
“Visual Impairment Including Blindness” means the impairment in vision that, even with correction, adversely affects a child’s educational performance.
B) Eligibility Standards
The child shall meet the definition of visual impairment and one or more of the following:
- Visual acuity in the better eye or both eyes with best possible correction of 20/70 or less at distance and/or near viewing;
- Visual field restriction with both eyes with the remaining visual field of 60 degrees or less;
- Medical and educational documentation of progressive loss of vision, which may in the future affect the student's ability to learn visually;
- Other visual impairment, not perceptual in nature, resulting from a medically documented condition (i.e., cortical visual impairment).
3. Only children ages 7 and over will be considered for residential placement.
4. The Superintendent in consultation with the Admissions Committee of the TENNESSEE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND will make the final determination of eligibility for admission. A major consideration is whether or not the school has an educational program that meets the needs of the student challenged, primarily, by severe vision loss. This determination might necessitate the applicant undergoing an educational, psychological and/or ophthalmologic assessment by the staff of the Tennessee School for the Blind.
5. The superintendent will have the prerogative to admit children whose application is accompanied by an ophthalmologist’s statement that the prognosis is “poor” and the visual acuity is decreasing. The visual findings of the ophthalmologist employed by the school will be final.
Please note that the complete application for admission is divided into three (3) PDF files/sections: the first two are for instructional documents and forms, the latter contains clinic information. Please be sure to print all files.
Paquetes de admisión en español
For addition Information contact: